Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Black-Eyed Pea Soup

Growing up, my grandma always said that we needed to eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day.  She said it would bring us good luck.  Well, I am never going to turn down an opportunity for good luck OR an opportunity for a delicious soup!  Here's an easy recipe straight from my mom's recipe box for Black-Eyed Pea Soup. It's got a kick to it, so I have noted some substitutions you can make if you prefer something milder.  Happy New Year and may your year be filled with lots of luck!

Here's what you'll need:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 4-ounce can of chopped green chilies, rinsed and drained
3 cans black-eyed peas (or 4 cups)
3 cups beef broth (you could substitute chicken broth as well)
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes (use regular diced tomatoes if you prefer a milder flavor)

Here's what to do:

On medium heat, saute oil, onion and garlic in large sauce pan.  
Stir in remaining ingredients.

Let simmer for about 30 minutes.

That's it!  Your soup is ready in about 30 minutes.  I like my soup with grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.  I've heard eating ham is good luck too. I'm not taking any chances!  


Here's to a healthy, happy, and lucky 2015!
-Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment


Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts with The Teacher Dish!